Sunday, September 15, 2013

Bible Inspiration of the Day

   I finished reading the book of Joshua yesterday. It was very enjoyable but today I decided to skip around. Using the Bible app on my phone, I looked at the verse of the day. Ephesians 2:8-9 says:
   
   "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
   Not of works, lest any man should boast."
   
   This was a reminder to me that I do not, I CAN NOT save myself, it is only through God's grace and mercy do I even have the opportunity. 

   As usual, I read the Proverb of the day, Proverb 15. My mother got me started reading a Proverb for each day of the month earlier this year. So far, I have read through Proverbs probably 6 times and each time there is something else that stands out. Today is was Proverbs 15:5 which says: 

   "A fool despiseth his father's instruction: but he that regardeth reroof is prudent." 
   
   Ouch! I have to remember that my parents are older than me, have been through many of the same things I face, and they know so much! My parents are full of wisdom if I will just listen. 
   Then I started reading I Peter 1. The whole chapter was amazing, but 5 verses especially stood out to me. Verses 3-5 which state:
   
   "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ which according to His abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
   To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
   Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."
   
    We are kept by God THROUGH faith! And then verses 15-16: 
   
   "But as He which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
   Because it is written, 'Be ye holy; for I am holy.' "
   
   For me, these verses, 15 and 16, tie into Philippians 4:8
   
   "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
   
   This then led me to Psalm 19:14
   
   "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer."
   
   And the reason we should keep our heart? Easy! Matthew 12:34b says:
   
   "for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh."

    We also went to church with my grandparents today, my granddad being a Baptist preacher and he taught on the power of prayer. All I can say is WOW!! He had some awesome points and I came to the conclusion that my prayers should be more earnest. I sometimes just say them to say them, but I need to stop letting my mind wander. I need to be completely focused on God when I pray and remember to Whom I am praying. 

   Thanks for reading. I know it's a long post. As a side note, I use King James Version of the Bible.
   


No comments:

Post a Comment