Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Apologies

Well, I'm back. It has been wild since my last post. 

Isn't it funny how life throws a lot of things at you just when you decide to start something? 


      So, anyway, I told you a little about myself in the About Me section (my first post). I'll tell you a little bit more. School started back! (Yay!!!) I'm a senior and this year is probably my busiest year ever. I started playing volleyball twice a week and have just been kept on the road for various reasons. 


      In my last post, I said I would tell what I thought of "The Dark Knight Rises", so here are my thoughts:

I liked the movie. It had a dark theme, but all in all a great movie. I will not give spoilers for those of you who haven't seen it...don't want to ruin anything. I'll try to be on top of things in the near future and post reviews shortly after I see the movies so I can remember more about them. 


We Bought A Zoo
      My mom rented We Bought A Zoo for us to watch this evening. I thought it was pretty cool! The whole cast was very good! Now, again, I'm not going to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but it is a story of mixed happiness and sadness. One minute, you're laughing, the next, you feel pain because they are having to go through tough times. 

     You begin to feel sympathy, and yet, Benjamin Mee says, "I don't want sympathy. I'm tired of sympathy!" You watch this story unfold as a guy quits his job and moves his children and their dog to a zoo 'in the sticks'. They're a whole 9 miles from the nearest Target (OH MY!! HOW WILL THEY SURVIVE!!! ;). This is played for humor throughout the movie. 

     You can tell through the entire movie that Benjamin will do almost anything to make his children, Dylan (14) and Rosie (7) happy. He is completely devoted to them, even when Dylan gets into trouble in school, Benjamin still loves him and wants the best for him. Dylan doesn't understand this though and even resents his father for moving them. At one point he tells Benjamin, or rather yells at him, "This is your dream! You can't force your dream on people!"

     The family is hurting after an illness (the movie doesn't say what kind) took Benjamin's wife. They try in their ways to cope, they try to stay strong. Dylan copes by drawing. Some of his pictures are dark, most rather gruesome. 

     When they are looking for house away from their current town, Rosie rides with Benjamin. They look at lots of houses, but none of these are quite right. They pull up at one house and immediately fall in love with it. 18 acres of hills, and a big roomy house that is absolutely perfect for them...until the salesman says, "It's a......zoo." 

      Rosie is immediately enthralled with the idea of living on a zoo. She loves it. 

      When Benjamin closes the deal, Dylan is upset. He doesn't want to leave his friends or their home. 

     After moving family is soon caught up in running a zoo.  They have the responsibilities, the pain, the joys...all of it. They draw closer throughout all the troubles. 

     All in all, the movie was very good to me. I enjoyed it very much. I realized, as Benjamin says, that life is an adventure. It all starts with 20 seconds of crazy bravery. You have to have that 20 seconds of crazy, sometimes even stupid and embarrassing bravery to take that giant step that could lead you anywhere. That one step could get you going on an adventure you have never even imagined.


Alrighty!! Now it's time for the random history fact of the day!

Ok, you know that Thanksgiving is the last Thursday in November, but did you know that it was officially declared "Thanksgiving Day" on October 3rd, 1863 by President Abraham Lincoln. 


The first "Buffalo Wings" were made at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York. That was in 1964 and and they are still popular today.

In case anyone is wondering, my source for the random history facts is Wikipedia. (wikipedia.org) You just type in the date and it'll bring up all sorts of stuff!


That's all for now! See y'all later! Goodbye 'til next time.....


No comments:

Post a Comment