Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Flip Flop Mile

      Last weekend was our vacation for the year. We went to camp. It was a homeschool camp and it was amazing. I had so much fun meeting new people and I played volleyball every single day! I learned something about volleyball. When you have a lot of guys playing, put the really tall ones on the front. That makes it easier to win. :) We arrived Thursday and stayed until after Church service on Sunday.

      The inspiration for this title "A Flip Flop Mile" came from my little sister. About a week ago, she hurt her ankle in a bike accident. Her foot hung in the spokes or something like that. (I wasn't there so I still have no idea how that came about.)

      Grace has been looking forward to Camp because of a 1-mile run that the kids 8 and under do. She was really disappointed when she hurt her foot because she wanted to race, but she ran it anyway....in flip flops. She was unable to run in tennis shoes because of her ankle (the tennis shoes tend to rub and make it sore).

      When she topped that last hill, I was so proud of her! She was still trying even though her ankle was bothering her some and she ran across that finish line. She didn't finish first, but that wasn't what I was worried about. I wanted her to race across that finish line because I wanted her to finish strong. That was what meant more to me.

      And there was a 5k race. You know I told you a couple of posts back that it only takes 20 seconds of insane courage (or just insanity) to do something that'll change your life? Well, I had a 20 seconds moment. I put my name on that clip board for a 5k. No, I didn't win. Didn't even come close actually. My time for the whole thing was 33:59, so almost 34 minutes. The first mile I believe was the hardest. I don't know why, but that is how it seemed. I started out running with some girls I know, but they got way ahead of me. I didn't care. I wasn't worried about winning. I just wanted to finish it and finish it I did.

      Just to let y'all know how bad I did, the winner of the women's best time was 27 minutes and some seconds. And the winner of the men's best time was 19 minutes and I think around 38 seconds.

      After the run, I took it easy for a bit, but by that evening, I was playing volleyball again. The next morning, I was sore and it carried over a little into yesterday.

      Yesterday was interesting. It was volleyball practice and we got our t-shirts for volleyball, but that wasn't the interesting part. The dads were the ones who played against us. My dad even played. It was a lot of fun!! They beat us......bad!! I don't think any of the teams won against them. Our games were like 15-6 and 15-3, but one of the teams actually got it up to 15-13. I had a great time though!

     Have you ever noticed how guys can barely tap the ball and it'll go about 50 feet? I noticed. I have to hit it and they just tap it. I noticed this at camp as well. It's like it's nothing for them.

      Well, I'm going to end this post now. I may post a little more about the camp and some pictures. Like I said, it was a lot of fun and I hope we may do it again next year!!

      'Til next time!

                         Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment